Our History

The WRSA was founded in 1921 as the Border Cities Chapter of Architects. In 1934, the Registration Board and the Ontario Association of Architects were amalgamated. At this time, mandatory registration of architects was introduced, and the society was renamed as the St. Clair Region Society of Architects.

Most recently in 2014, in order to more clearly identify the society, it was renamed as the Windsor Region Society of Architects, as it represents the counties of Essex, Lambton, and Kent, including the municipalities of Windsor, Chatham, and Sarnia.

The following are the past society chairs:

1921 – 1937 – unknown

1937 – 1938 – John R. Boyde

1938 – 1946 – Hugh P. Sheppard

1947 – 1948 – J.C. Pennington

1949 – 1959 – Douglas C. Johnson

1960 – 1961 – Wm. J. Hilliker

1962 – 1965 – (Ken) C. W. McWhinnie

1965 – 1967 – Robert L. Langlois

1967 – 1968 – W. C. Crosbie

1968 – 1969 – W. A. Fraser

1969 – 1970 – John G. Hreno

1970 – 1971 – Wm. Kachmaryk

1971 – 1972 – J. Bobaljik

1972 – 1977 – A. E. Margetts, Jr.

1977 – 1980 – John C. Couchman

1980 – 1981 – David Novick

1982 – 1986 – Gregory McLean

1986 – 1988 – Randi Glos

1989 – 1991 – Pat McGuire

1991 – 1993 – Robert DiMaio

1993 – 1995 – Lawrence D. Warren

1995 – 1998 – Anthony J. Gyemi

1998 – 2003 – Joe Passa

2003 – 2007 – Simon Chamely

2007 – 2016 – John Hrovat

2016 – present – Settimo Vilardi